As heavy rain continues for a third straight month, we have regretfully taken the decision to cancel this Sunday’s Trail Ride and Enduro from Queen Elizabeth Country Park. Ground conditions are already very poor both on the site and the course, and further significant rain is forecast, both up to the event and over the event weekend itself.
We are faced with possible access problems to the site itself, which is entered via a steep, dirt access road, and as the site is an open air field location, we are limited with the amount of shelter and infrastructure we can provide to riders at the start and finish. Much of the (already tough) route will be extremely hard going, and some sections of the course will also be effectively impassable, leaving us no choice but to implement long road diversions (which is hardly in the spirit of the event). And we would realistically have to abandon the planned finale descent of Butser Hill which is an SSSI and would suffer at the moment if too many bikes are sent over it in soft conditions.
This is obviously not a decision we want to take, but this was very much conceived as a summer event, using a course and location suitable for normal summer conditions. That allows for the possibility of our usual summer rain, but not for wettest three month spring and early summer period on record. This would be a fantastic 100km course in most summers, and we would want you to enjoy it at it’s best. What we don’t want to do is to present you with an event that is unreasonably hard and unpleasant, and potentially hazardous in places.
We’re sorry if you were looking forward to the event. We still have our Chilterns 100k Enduro for you to aim for at Woodcote on August 18th. If you have already entered for this weekends event, we will be emailing you shortly with your options for transferring to another event or obtaining a refund.